Tuesday 3 July 2012

Flash

It started as if the big guy in the sky
or one of those other Gods
started flicking water
with little brushes onto the earth.
I laughed at those who raised umbrellas –idiots – and I saw in shop
windows that the rain nestled in my hair in a silver-beaded crown.
Pretty cool, huh? But then it started like really raining.
I wanted to steal an umbrella from the people
that brushed past me but I guess that would have been rude.
It was like the sea had been flipped over and drained through a colander,
so I got a newspaper from a cornershop and fanned it over my head.
The guy who served me in there made some fuss
about me stealing that Twix. I guess he’d never
heard of feed the poor and hungry and all that crap
but it’s fine now. But, to be honest, it's probably melted now.
Then, by the way, my newspaper got wet (like soaking wet). 
And I swear to God I was going to die from hypothermia
or some other cold-related illness - can you die from a cold? - 
and the drains were gargling
like when you use mouthwash, lean back your head and go aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! 
I would want to go home, obviously, if i had one,
but it would be weird. But is strangling the cat really that strange?
David Ike’s probably right: the cliffs of Kent may well be
underwater now. I’m gonna drown out here, seriously. 
Maybe I won’t like seriously drown but rats might.
I should call a cab. 
I might as well ask for some spare change whilst I’m at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment